Feb 19, 2010

WEEKLY UPDATE: My Own Affirmation

Summary: Today's post gives you a peek into my personal inner workings as I share with you the story of how I created my own affirmation sentence, and exactly what that sentence is that helps me through my days. You can do it, too!

Each Friday's blog post is titled "Weekly Update." It's where I lift the curtain to give you a peek behind the scenes at Beyond Talk and KiKi Productions, Inc. Communications. Today, I want to show you a little secret something from inside of me.

Since we've been talking about affirmations (or rather, I've been writing and you've been reading about them), I think it's only fair that I let you in on my own personal affirmation—as well as how I followed the process I've been outlining for you to create my affirmation sentence. It works for me. But only when I choose to use it, of course.

I admitted in Wednesday's post that I have perfectionist tendencies. This can be a blessing. But there are certainly times when it's a curse, too. Mostly, it's a curse when it upsets me, mentally or emotionally.

Some months ago, I was slated to give a speech presentation that I had not rehearsed well. I had certain key points I wanted to share in the speech, and I'd put those on index cards. But I'd decided that the rest of the content (due to time constraints in preparation) was just going to have to be "organic." In other words, I would think it up as I went along! I knew my audience's needs, even if I didn't know my audience members personally. However, as I was driving to the venue, I felt a wave of nausea and panic overtake me. This was greater than the usual "butterflies" I get in my stomach before a big event. I quickly assessed the situation:

(1) I feel nausea, a racing heartbeat, and shortness of breath in my body.
(2) Emotionally, I'm very fearful—to the point of panic.
(3) My thoughts are telling me to turn the car around and run! I think I can't do this, because I'm unprepared and I'm going to fail.
(4) These thoughts DO NOT make me want to expand and grow!
(5) If someone else spoke to me this way, I'd feel insulted and undermined. (I guess that means I'm doubting myself.)
(6) I'd prefer to hear words of support that take into account the possibility of human errors (because how do I know for sure that I won't make one or two mistakes as I wing this event?)

For the rest of the trip, I chanted in my head, "I am a competent human, and I learn from my human mistakes." This affirmation gives me permission to "fail" without the belief that any failure on my part is permanent and fatal. The word "competent" reminds me that I really do have strengths, even in times of doubt. Better, it helps me draw upon those strengths when I doubt myself.

For months now, every time I have felt that same bodily sensation of fear and panic in a wave of nausea, I've easily recognized it for what it is: self-doubt. And my affirmation, said as many times as needed, dispels it: "I am a competent human, and I learn from my human mistakes."

How about you?

© KiKi Productions, Inc. 2010

2 comments:

  1. Hi Kealah! I can appreciate the perfectionistic tendencies blessing and curse dilemma. My favorite affirmation of late? "It is what it is." It takes me out of drama pretty quickly, and helps me shift my perspective to the present moment, away from "what if" and "if only." :-)Rose

    ReplyDelete
  2. It IS what it is! That's a good one & I also use it regularly. Thanks for sharing, Rose!

    ReplyDelete

Speak YOUR TRUTH now!